You won’t be surprised to learn, as we approach school holidays, that kids are suddenly a force to be reckoned with in travel. Search site Wotif.com is telling us where they want to go at the end of next month.
Perhaps no surprise is that the study shows the majority of Aussie kids are excited to see more of Australia (62 per cent), and are eager to see and try different travel experiences in their own backyard. But it is a big switch – in 2019, only 22 per cent of families with kids under 13 opted for domestic travel.
The majority of kids now want to do theme parks (49 per cent), followed by wildlife experiences (41 per cent). Harder to believe, however, is family bonding at 51 per cent.
Now, if you want to avoid the gang, here are the 10 most popular spots based on accommodation searches compared to last year:
1. Mornington Peninsula, Vic, is up 1055%
2. Port Stephens, NSW, is up 895%
3. The Murray, Vic, is up 800%
4. Kangaroo Island, SA, is up 780%
5. Albury, NSW, is up 775%
6. Hunter Valley, NSW, is up 765%
7. Port Macquarie, NSW, is up 710%
8. Grampians, Vic, is up 670%
9. Barossa Valley, SA, is up 620%
10. Toowoomba, Qld, is up 580%
* Based on accommodation interest on Wotif.com from 1 January to 10 May 2021 compared to 1 January to 10 May 2019.